Tuesday

 
Well, there is something to be said for lockdown ... it makes parking at shopping centres so much easier - even at the usually so incredibly busy Ferry Road Standard Markets that you have to go round and round the car park hunting for a spot.

Even though we are currently in lockdown on the Gold Coast, we ventured out today to the Australia Fair shopping centre to collect Sooz's new glasses (reading and sun).  We had thought about leaving it until after the lockdown ends, but given that the lockdown has just been extended to Sunday, we weren't sure the same thing wouldn't happen - another extension - at the end of the week.  

There wasn't that much happening at Australia Fair at all.  SpecSavers was open, and a couple of other shops but lots of the eateries and specialty shops were closed.  Zarraffas was open but they had their seats roped off and packed up so it was takeaway only.  We would have stopped for one, but we had other jobs to do.  

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Australia Post in the Centre was taking passport applications - so photographs taken and forms lodged, I was finally able to mark "Passport Renewal" off my Task list ... I just had a look to see how long it has been lingering there ... but because I had the different parts of the task as sub-tasks, it didn't show when I first "found" my passport ... and I know that particular one did take a while.  After filling in my application online, I had until 11 August to lodge it at the Post Office before I needed to re-submit.  It was another thing I was going to put off until next week, but decided, since we aren't sure if our lockdown is going to be extended, to do it while I could.  And since we were in the Centre anyway, to pick up Sooz's new, very cool, glasses, it was worth asking. 

It's just as well we are in lockdown - generally - because I can tell you that based on my passport photos, they won't be letting me in anywhere any time soon. My Australia Post assistant did what she could but it's like a Driver's Licence ... they are not "wonderful".  As my brother used to say, the look you have on your Driver's Licence photo is how you look when the Police pull you over.

Next stop ... Ferry Road, for one of their amazing cooked chickens, and some fruit.  I sat in the car while Sooz went in to do the shopping.  It gave me time to quietly marvel at how many empty spaces there were throughout the car park. I still can't quite believe it ... 

... and I was still thinking about it when we drove back to Labrador and Biggera Waters so we could visit the vet - without Nigey this time, but she will be there next Tuesday - for her vaccinations.  Today's visit was just to give them money ... specifically to renew Nigey's healthy pet(s) cover.  We had thought about whether or not we would renew, but given her heart murmur, which we are monitoring via her sleeping respiration rate (thanks Aunty Mad!), it's probably not a bad idea.  That ... and being able to get Nigey's nails clipped throughout the years, and general health checks, of course. 

We are enjoying the televised coverage of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and learning more about different sports than I ever thought possible. It was a bit disappointing to watch the Matildas miss out on the opportunity of playing for Gold last night.  Instead, they will play off against USA for the Bronze Medal. The good news is that I would now (almost) be able to pick Golden Boot winner Sam Kerr out of a line-up. 

Also on last night, Germany's Julia Krajewski became the very first female equestrian to win the Individual Olympic eventing gold medal.  She and her horse, Amande De B’neville, performed amazingly well.  As noted in horsetalk.co.nz: When the Games last took place in Tokyo back in 1964 the USA’s Lana du Pont was the first woman to compete in the three-day event, so female firsts and the Tokyo Olympics seem to be intrinsically linked.

Sugars still on the tables, even though no-one can sit at them. We only just put the sugars back, said the proprietor, and she didn't want to lose that!


No comments:

Post a Comment